Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Milestone
















For my American readers, Happy Thanksgiving.  It's my favorite holiday hands down; spending time with family, and eating good food.

So this is my 500th post! Whoohoo!  I was trying to figure out what I would do for this milestone, when the idea popped into my head after getting a visit from my aunt. Here's how it went down.

When the Boston Globe feature came out, in my excitement, I called my aunt and left her a rambling message. I thought for sure that she would call me right back, but nope. Nothing.

She came over for lunch the following Saturday. I kept waiting for her to say something but nothing. After 1.5 hours, I cracked.

"Did you see it?"

"See what?" She responded in Haitian Creole.

"The Globe feature!"

"I saw it." Please note there was very little affect in her voice at this point.

"And," I prodded.

"It was nice". Her voice did not reflect my enthusiasm.

"Nice?"

She paused dramatically.  I waited, because I knew it would come.  And what would come would not be congratulations, but full-on censure. Then she said, "Why is it you go around taking pictures of perfect strangers and never take pictures of me?! I'm always well dressed."

My mouth flopped open and closed like a gully. "Well," I explained, "I'm looking for something very specific in the picture I feature on the blog."

Then she went on and on. But here's the gist of it.  The family is well dressed (very true) and I'm a bad niece, sister, daughter etc... for not featuring them.

So, though the thought may have entered your mind, dear reader, this post is not cheating!  This post is to share with you that my interest in fashion and style go back to my home in Haiti.

It was fun to flip through the family albums to see how hip the aunt and aunties looked in these pictures.  Since we'll be visiting more aunties over the holidays, I'm hoping I can find more pictures to share with you.

In the top picture, the woman between the two guys is my momma.  The other pictures are of my aunties, or taties as we call them.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Jenn said...

Your family is well dressed. The photos remind me of a vintage Elle spread.

November 25, 2009 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger AbbieBabble said...

HAHAHA. I love it.

You do have a well-dressed family, indeed!

November 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Congrats on 500th post! Happy thanksgiving :)

November 25, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger A Stylized Hysteria said...

Sounds like something my family would say to me! These photos are great- your family is quite stylish :)

November 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Anonymous Balanced Melting Pot said...

Love, love, love it! Congratulations - make the celebration count ;-)

November 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Crisis in Denim said...

Very nice post. I love the b & w photo. I'd love to see a current photo too.

November 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

A Stylized Hysteria--Yes, my family is a trip. They say the darnest things.

Jaime--Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Jenn--Wow, a vintage Elle spread. Thanks!

Crisis in Denim--Good idea! I'll have my camera with me for when they are looking particularly good.

November 25, 2009 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger EA said...

I love these pics, espescially the black and white. Thanks for sharing a bit of your family with us. We needed to see where your inspiration came from. :-)

November 25, 2009 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like this post!
Congrats on the 500th post! Very stylish family!
Happy thanksgiving!
xoxo

November 26, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger keri said...

Congrats, 'tini! Love the photos - what wonderful senses of style to inherit.

November 29, 2009 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger ryssee said...

Love the pics, love the family "stuff" lol-who doesn't have that?! Congrats on the 500th post!

November 30, 2009 at 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family!

November 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Notice the belts people. As we know, "what goes around, comes around". Guess I have to listen to you now huh?

December 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Vanessa said...

You are wonderful to share photos of your family! Your mom and aunties look lovely.

December 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home