Monday, September 28, 2009

Street style: Jules Aarons at the DeCordova












We go about our lives, do what we enjoy and sometimes, if we're lucky, our efforts get recognized.

I was at a cafe in Southie in August of 2008 when I discovered Jules Aarons' work. There I was waiting for my breakfast burrito, waiting to take a sip of my coffee so I could finally wake up when I became arrested by the photo of a young woman frozen in the act of pinning back her hair.

I did a simple post about the photographs. A friend of his read the blog and emailed saying that Dr. Aarons was still alive and living in the Boston area. A few months later, his grandson, Zach, contacted me with the sad news that Mr. Aarons had passed. In his email, Zach shared, "He was able to aptly juggle his team between his three greatest passions: family, space science, and photography. He was a voracious traveler, organizing conferences in his scientific field all over the world. He was obsessed with French culture and food. He also loved Jewish food liked lox which he would get every time in New York. He grew up in the Bronx and much of that never left him."

We bloggers are in the process of creating an impressive catalogue of--practically everything--in our time. It makes me wonder what the world will say about our work in the coming decades.

The DeCordova will showcase some of Jules Aarons's work from September 26, 2009 - January 3, 2010.

5 Comments:

Blogger ... said...

Hi from Paris,

Right, Street style is not from yesterday.
I just discover Aaron's work on your blog.
I love these pictures. Very impressive.
We have to work a lot to be at the same level !
@+

Fred

Easy Fashion Paris

September 28, 2009 at 2:32 AM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Cool- thanks for sharing. I haven't been to the deCordova which I must go soon! Also, I featured your blog on my enewsletter today:
http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001aqj1QInodGT78byhPj-ZlOJrOP9SWZ5a1v85NZEhuZLv44GNSzgCqSWz7Na1_OZGXMinn_5cOMouL_Ws7WqQm9iBo5p8aNqTyTystTC2Jh9BTssjKb0rCXcQXJX9IFuemDrZ2KazPf1yCyBOtEG0Fp5jLZOSxKZl3vFupFarYF3j0bOdKEPYc-SliqkrCOiG5wQP6_0ZXFL2wQROfM2LOL3MUB13zlKksp24cmIe9J5THw1HvBuYyr1MTWkXcY8K5hankTqaAebCS6TRjBJWvRfXwu9kPJnopFI5em61mBKk_CaLkG3Z4VeDckWlBCHVkEu49QCpfDE%3D

:) Jaime

September 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We bloggers are in the process of creating an impressive catalogue of--practically everything--in our time. It makes me wonder what the world will say about our work in the coming decades."

I think as bloggers you are at the bleeding edge of our society's consciousness. The difficult part is to raise yourself above the crowd, since there is so much nothingess in the world of blogging... Luckily you stand out!

Chau
SP

September 29, 2009 at 12:48 AM  
Anonymous Stéphanie said...

Beautiful pics !

September 29, 2009 at 3:09 AM  
Blogger roxanne said...

i can't quite explain just how much i love these photos.. i MUST check these out. so good seeing you on tuesday!

October 1, 2009 at 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home