Sunday, March 22, 2009

Hair Woes

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I did a photo project on barbershops for my photography class in college. At the time I had my hair short à la Halle Berry in Boomerang so I quickly got used to going to barbershops for a cut. It was cheaper and the lines were shorter. One Saturday while putzing around the house, I watched my cousin cut my brother’s hair and I thought, ‘hold, up, why am I paying good money going to a barbershop when I could have my cousin cut my hair.?’

So there I sat, being buzzed here and there. I congratulated myself on finding a new way to save money. My brother started telling jokes at this time. This one joke was so funny that I threw my head back to laugh and felt the clippers connect with my scalp. I heard an “oh sh*t” from my brother and a gasp that most likely came from me. A patch of hair the size of an Ipod Nano was gone from the right side of my head. Gone.

At first I thought, this is fine. It’s fine. I could wear a yarmulke. But I’m not Jewish, nor a man, so that idea quickly got scratched. Then there was the idea of wearing a turban…Oi!

In the end I had it shaved off--not unlike D. in the above picture. Lawd, it took me days to get used to my face. In the end I loved it the haircut. I felt so bad ass. And loved to contrast my hair with punk, ethnic, or repressed looks as in the above picture.

Seeing D. made me want to consider shaving my head again.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


….then again, when I saw this young woman’s locks, I wanted to get locks too.

3 Comments:

Blogger keri said...

where is the photographic evidence of this daring do?

March 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I love my short natural. I've never gone a short as D, but everytime I try to grow it out, I end up back at a short fro. No bad hair days and I think it looks best on my face. The pic of D is great!!

March 24, 2009 at 2:43 PM  
Blogger Martini said...

Keri--Sadly I do not have any pictures from this carefree period in my life.

March 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home