Friday, April 11, 2008

In the Mood for Love

I first saw In the Mood for Love by Wong Kar-Wai during a semester long class on Asian film in the spring of 2000. I’ve since seen it as many times as I’ve seen The Matrix. Since I haven’t seen In the Mood in about two years, friends and I went to a free screening at the Harvard Film Archive this week. The setting for the film is 1962 Taiwan. The cinematography is a feast for the sense of sight. Maggie Cheung’s character wears a collection of cheongsam dresses that are simply sublime. Tony Leung’s character himself wears his suit with a careless elegance that is just yummy.

In the Mood strongly affected my decision to take sewing classes. I have grown a fondness of dresses, and spent quite a bit of the warm months in them. My friend Betty is a much better seamstress than me…maybe I can nudge her into copying one of the cheongsam dresses for me.

This is the best pictures I could find to display the cheongsam dresses. Tony Leung is really dreamy in a suit **heavy sigh**.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home